Saturday, January 15, 2011

How do you read?

The daily shoot assignment was to "Photograph two complimentary objects arranged to show their relationship to each other." I could have chosen many different things, some in groups greater than two, but I have a reading theme with a few posts, so I decided on the photo above.

I love to read. I read just about anything. I would check out 6 novels a week over the summer at the library and read them all by our family visit the next week. I love the way a book feels in your hand, the satisfaction of the pages turning and a bookmark showing how much you have read. I never thought there would be something else out there for me that I would love just as much as that paperback book. When the Kindle first came out I was a skeptic. How could this screen give me as much enjoyment as those books I had grown up with?

My husband knows me so very well. He bought one for me for our anniversary and he knew I would love it. He was right. I have been burning through books just as fast on my Kindle. The beautiful thing is I have actually broadened my scope - I have started reading things I probably would have never considered in book form on the shelf in the library. There are so many free selections - not just the first chapter, but the entire book is free. I can try out a selection, and if I don't like it I can simply discard it - and I haven't lost a cent. This freedom of sorts is allowing me to read many things I would probably never buy from the book store.

The Harry Potter paperback is what my daughter is attacking now. Perhaps one day when she is older she will own a Kindle, too. But we will never stop reading those paperbacks, either. It doesn't matter what the format is, just that you can read it and enjoy it.

1 comment:

  1. crisp shot. Can't wait to get my camera! Liked that you experimented with B/W

    ReplyDelete